Thursday, August 10, 2017

Laziness

I think the laziest thing I've ever done was when I sat down at my laptop about 9 years ago, completely prepared to not move from my position for at least a few hours, only to realize that I needed to get something off my desktop PC. We had a network share in the house, but unfortunately, the files I needed were not shared over the network yet.

Instead of going upstairs to get the files off my desktop, I got an idea and opened Google. I began to research methods of remote controlling my desktop. It took me about 4 or 5 minutes before I came up with a way to remote control my PC from anyplace that had an internet connection, networked or no. But I needed to install software on my upstairs PC to do it.

So instead of going upstairs, I rigged a quick temporary remote control via Windows remote desktop over our home network, to remote control my upstairs PC to install the remote control software. After getting that done, I used the remote control software to set up a VPN between the two computers. A VPN which would remain active for full file sharing no matter where I was. I shared my entire user and program files folders over that VPN.

Boom! I began copying the files I needed! Didn't have to move, and the whole thing took maybe 15-20 minutes. Since then, it has saved me so much unnecessary getting up off the couch, it was completely worth it in the long run.

My mind is almost never lazy. My body, on the other hand, well... That's another story ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment