Sunday, January 15, 2012

Browsers and Internet Life

Greetings viewers and classmates, both of whom are one and the same.


     To better illustrate my daily interests, it has come to my attention that I should speak of the websites I visit regularly. But before I explain the websites I visit, (because I'm a tech geek) I should probably start with the browser I use to visit said websites, and explain why it is my browser of choice. I used Internet Explorer back in the days of my earlier youth (around 10 or 11 years of age), but I then discovered Mozilla Firefox. I enjoyed the many features and add-ons that Firefox offered, but as of last year I have come to realize that Google Chrome has extensions that act in a similar manner. Firefox has been growing too large and complex, which causes it to bog down and become slow. Google Chrome however remains fast and simplified, and manages to pull off the extensions without the constant need for updates and extra loading times when opening the program. As a result of these realizations, Chrome has become my browser of choice due to its superior speed and similar features to Firefox.


     As much as I would like to say otherwise, Facebook is my top most visited website, partly due to my instinctive reaction to open it as soon as my browser starts. I try not to live in an online world like Facebook  even though our real world seems to be swapping over to the digital age. I use Facebook to check on how my friends are doing, and to update them on my life - I rarely ever use Facebook for anything more. Living in the world of Facebook causes one to become engrossed in the online lives of other people, and promotes self-centeredness, gossip, a false sense of approval from others, and a lacking of self-discovery. Many of the friends people have on their Facebook friends list are never contacted in the real world, nor have they even met in person. Facebook should not be used as a substitute for your social life, it should merely be a tool to improve it.


     Next in line from Facebook is Google+, which I open at the same time as Facebook in hopes that it might take over the social networking world. Facebook has made many blunders in the past that could have easily been avoided had they respected their users, whereas Google has a good track record as far as I'm concerned. I would rather not go into specifics as to what Facebook has done in the past (I'm lazy), but for the sake of irony, you can click this link if you're curious, http://www.google.com. I treat Google+ the same way I treat Facebook, and therefore have the same opinions. My visits to Google+ are more in hopes that people will swap over to it than anything else.


     In third place after Google+ is Yahoo! Mail. I check my email on a daily basis. Not much is really to be said about that to be honest. We all check our email, don't we?


     One website which I haven't been visiting as often as I used to lately (but I think is worth mentioning) is The Daily Show website. Jon Stewart's show may be a satirical comedy, but he does use valid statistics, and actual news footage. I use The Daily Show as a method of keeping up on recent events, as the comedic approach helps to keep things interesting and watchable. Where the regular news networks only report dramatic things that will keep their viewers' attention through embellishment, The Daily Show makes fun of the news for not reporting stories of actual validity, then tells a more broad variety of stories with a relevant interview afterward. I think modern reporting could learn from The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, as he does a better job than they do despite his show not actually being an actual news program.


     And now finally we come to Netflix, number 5 of my listing of websites that I visit. Netflix streaming is my method of TV watching, as I do not have satellite service. Using Netflix streaming, I can watch every episode of Star Trek TNG, the first two seasons of Warehouse 13, That '70s Show, Psych, etc. I probably watch around 1 TV show per day from this website. Between Netflix and Hulu+, you probably have all the TV you need right there, which kind of makes paying for satellite service obsolete. Netflix is quite enjoyable - particularly when you're not the one paying for it. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I still don't know about Google+ -- There was a lot of movement over there in the beginning, but now if I go over, it feels a little bit like a ghost town. I also, don't like how the grid size is rather large. If they let me condense things like I can do on gmail, then I might reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the third time I've heard the term "ghost town" used to describe Google+. Interesting how three different people use the same term for it.

      Delete